Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago- David's Bowie exhibit!
On our last class, we visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, and we had the luck to see David's Bowie exhibit. I haven't heard about David Bowie before, I knew that he was a singer but didn't knew that he was a painter too. Also, the exhibition offered audio tour which it was interesting to hear the artist speak or sing while going around his art works. The way he was dressing up caught my attention, his costumes always were breathtaking, I can't believe that a person would ever wear those things. The cloth by itself was a piece of art, so many details and different than the casual clothes. ![]() |
| One of the paintings he painted while he was trying to stay away from drugs. |
The magazine Rolling Stones its mentioning that David Bowie shows some of his paintings in the exhibition which its clearly shows that he had a talent
from an early age. He drew aliens when
he was in the late Fifties when he was school, but also when he got older he
drew his planning tours by sketching them.
However, something I learned from the exhibition and it’s not being
mentioned is that article is Bowie found painting as a way to get away from his addiction
in drugs.
An art work from the Double Body Exhibition, which really got my attention for the weird idea sculpture it had was the art work called "She Man" which it was created from Paul McCartly. It was made from Silicone, aluminism wood, latex, foam, urethane and metal collection of Rena Conti. The questions I had when I saw this sculpture was why would he choose to make a naked woman with an old mans face on her head? Also, whether the artist wanted to pass a message with it? My point of view about this art work was that some men are control women's lives and they are not letting them decide what they want and what they need to. They are making decisions for them and might take advantage of their bodies. In some cultures women don't have the right to speak and express their feelings and with this art work is like the man is being the brain of those women and control every action of them and their thoughts.
The David Bowie exhibition has been first been showed to London and then to Chicago. The exhibition will only be showed in the city of Chicago at the Museum of Contemporary Art. However, the exhibition contains more than 300 artifacts selected from an incredible 75,000 items Bowie has archived over the years.
This exhibition has really got my attention as long as, a singer has been an idol in his whole life. He didn't just sing, but he tried every single way to express his feelings and ideas trough his closet, paintings, and his songs. From the whole exhibition we see David Bowie trying different things in his life and experiment himself. Moreover, he always make a different appearance at his concerts or performances, and he always find ways to surprise his fans.
I think that David Bowie is PHENOMENON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that the Museum of Contemporary Art was the most interesting of all of those we have visited in this Semester. The art works were not normal and you can actually stop and look at them, and they made you think, Why the artist might have created something like that? What he wants to show with it? How it has been made? All the necessary questions a person should make to understand clearly an art work.
The pieces that I am keeping from our visit in The Museum of Contemporary Art is the exhibition of David Bowie, which I was lucky to see it and learn about him and his works, about the Double Body Exhibit and also, two beautiful paintings that where in the Earthly Delights exhibition.
| Oddie and Odette I (on the left) Oddie and Odette II (on the right) |
Those two paintings have really stayed in my memory, because I love ballet and I have friends that are trying to be professional Dancers and it reminded me of them. However, in the 1st painting we see a skin white ballerina who is looking her reflection in the mirror and her reflection, reflects a black skin ballerina. I believe that it wants to show that art does not agree with racism, and everyone is equal. Also, that is not what you show on your outside that matters, but the deep and different character each person has. That's the real beauty.



No comments:
Post a Comment