Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cultural Center!


The Chicago Cultural Center

The last lesson we have been to The Chicago Cultural Center.  The Cultural Center has been build after The Great Chicago fire, and it has been architect from Loui Selevent.  The architecture of the building is Neoclassical style with Italian Renaissance elements.  The original purpose of the building was to be the Central library, and it has been converted in 1987.  I liked the architecture of the building as it has different patterns and interesting design.  I especially liked the domes, how they are being designed and how the light comes in the building from them especially in the Tiffany South Dome.


The Domes




Each Exhibit at the Michigan Gallery was interesting, none of the exhibits had any similarity.  Every designer had a different perspective and point of view about their art.

Patricia Rieger
In the first exhibit of Patricia Rieger we have seen beautiful sculptures and paintings and some of them weren't clear with one look.   There is a silence in her work, the intent of which emphasizes the passionate desire for poetic and the ephemeral.  That stillness helps to create a tension, a quiet moment whereby a transformation takes place, in a place of the mind.  The sculpture i liked the most is the one with the kid lying on the floor and holding a piece of fabric, but in my mind I translated it as a balloon and the mirror which was opposite the sculpture was reflecting the one side of the kid giving as the opportunity to see it from both sides.


Drury Brennan:  Die Welt
The second exhibit was wall designs from Drury Brennan, and he called his exhibition Die Welt.  When I saw this exhibition it reminded me room wallpapers, where most teenagers write on their bedroom walls or they choose wallpapers with Quotes and Lyrics.  I thought that he wanted to pass a message to others, that he was writing powerful and motivating words.  He composed three different writing systems in his art, he used Graffiti, Zen calligraphy and Conviction in gesture as in jazz.  He tried to mix these three art forms, to use Roman letter forms as the back beat while he solo tale of each letter's construction.  Each of his piece contains  a short form of poetic meditation on a variety of subjects from loss to love to contemporary art.  Ultimate the work is about untangling preconceptions about letters, form, writing and art, and recombining them to create new, pretty possibilities for writing to come.  In the next picture it's my favorite art piece from his exhibit, as I found phrases that I found interesting, as "Bless your little heart", where we can see it down on the left of the picture.

CHGO DSGN

This was the last exhibit we have seen at Michigan Gallery.  Chicago welcomed innovative design educators of the new Bauhaus in the 30s, however in the 70s, American modernism came to life in Chicago.  CHGO DSGN is all about modernism and technology.  In this exhibition, I have seen some art pieces which were part of a house, like a living room, or  a kitchen and others.  I can't describe what I have seen, because the pieces was really fascinating and interesting.  You can get an idea from the following pictures:
                                               


It was a great experience and opportunity, because I wouldn't have seen those art pieces and it was interesting to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment